Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Poetry Thread

This is a poem I wrote a few years ago.
Before I fell in love.


What I Think About When I Think About Love

After a long pause,

I looked into his eyes

questioning this thing we've been taught to know as

'love'.

A deep, tender feeling of affection,

an intense desire,

an emotional attachment,

an ever lasting frustration to

conquer one another

through adoration and admiration.

Hoping to be faithful and loyal,

we are enamored with the consistency

of falling asleep in each others arms

and waking up a tangled mess of

sheets and legs,

satisfied with the voids no longer empty

we could not have filled alone.

Relying on our bodies to keep warm,

dependent on our skin to sooth restless concerns,

surviving everyday

through beating hearts,

steady breaths

and tenacious thoughts of one another.

Compulsively fixating on

his mouth, and my lips,

his laugh and my smile.

Captivated by habitual routines

performed out of excessive need

to be conquered,

to be adored,

to just feel love at its purest,

pretending to be pure

but still wondering

what we could be missing.

This, love is no longer just a mere liking to another,

but a sick arrangement between two people

drawn together in order to continue their own existence.

He looked at me and said,

“I love you”,

and surely, I will reply,

“I love you, too”.


No comments: